1. Do i need an external charger ?
- No, the alternator will charge it just like the lead unit. at 14.4V. No trickle charging required, Lithium doesn't lose charge by sitting unused like lead does.
2. Can i bring the battery inside in freezing temperatures ?
- Yes, while Lithium has a working temperature range from -20 to +160. You can order the optional Quick Disconnect feature to simply unsnap the battery during freezing conditions and bring it inside to stay warm. IF u forget to bring inside, turn on headlites for 10 seconds to get the electrons flowing.
3. Shockproof.. i never heard of that ?
- Yes, you can literally drop these Lithium batteries on your foot and not feel any pain. They are built w a bottom cushion.
4. Waterproof ?
5. Different shapes ? never heard of that before?
- Yep, flat and wide, tall and thin, etc...
6. How do I estimate pricing ?
- Different starters pull a range of current to start the engine on hot days and cold days. This will determine the Ah size pack you need. Ah size determines the price. If you have a clamp-on ammeter, simply put it around a battery cable and turn the engine over; you will read the actual amps required. Do this 3 times to get the highest reading.
7. Do I need a BMS / circuitry to protect the battery from undervoltage events ?
- yes, only IF you have a bad habit of leaving the headlites on or have a constant power drain from an alarm or some other drain after the ignition is turned off.
of course, the same drain would apply to your older lead battery also. Optional BMS is $100 extra for M cycles - $200 extra for cars
8. What if I did not get the low volt protection and I accidentally drained the battery ?
- depends on how low it got and for how long... could be recoverable w a Lithium charger. 12V lithium chargers are an option.
9. Can the battery get too hot ?
- Excess heat will degrade any batteries performance as well as freezing temp's. The engine compartment is actually the exact wrong place to put a battery. However, these batteries are enclosed in silicone shrink wrap or in a polycarbonate case for protection.
10. What materials do you use in construction ?
- copper for cell connections and terminal post leads; Brass terminal posts
11. Mount in any position ?
- Yep, upside down is a good one; your friends will be impressed !
Zip ties work best.
13. My cables are not long enough to reach a small battery..
Then, you need "rabbit ears" battery lead extensions. No problemo. (+$25)
14. I also have a jetski, ATV, motorcycle, airplane....
- All can benefit from a Lithium replacement. Contact me to discuss
15. Any warranty ?
- three year , pro rated, (drained dead battery not covered )
16. What size battery does my vehicle need ?
- That depends on the current needed by the starter when cranking the engine.
4 cyl - 7Ah . . . 6 cyl - 9Ah . . . . 8 cyl - 11.5Ah
examples on sizing page
17. I've heard old stories about lithium catching on fire ??
- Not these type. These are new LiFePO4 type, iron phosphate. No chance of that happening. Very safe, much safer than carrying around a bunch of highly flammable gasoline !
18. How can such a small battery run my lights, stereo, etc. ?
- It doesn't, the alternator provides the power for those.
19. How long will these lithium batteries last compared to lead acid ?
- 5 to 10 years, at least double a lead acid battery
20. Any motorcycle ? All motorcycles
21. My car is a - Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Lotus, Jaguar, Audi, Ferrari, Mini, Corvette, Shelby Mustang, Lamborghini, Honda, Toyota, etc.. Do you have a battery for all of these ??? Yes.
22. My airplane is a Piper, Cessna, Beech, Mooney, Kit planes , experimental private aircraft like Lanceair, Will work equally well
23. What about those cheaper shorai batteries made in China ? Is'nt cheaper better ? Hmm, that sounds strange ... cheaper is better ... Well, the 1st thing is; - Those shorai battery have a lower discharge rate than the LithiumMoto units. 2 - You can't contact the battery maker directly on any issues. 3 - check out the flimsy battery terminal made from steel. .vs . brass or copper. But, brass and copper costs more so shorai does'nt use it....